The North American Division has put together a series of links to offer guidance about vaccines from national and international health organizations, the General Conference, and healthcare experts. The COVID-19 vaccine is highlighted in particular. Also included here are practical articles, NAD statements, and more.
North American Division Position on Requests for Religious Exemptions to Vaccine Requirements
Voted recommendations to NAD Administration regarding requests for religious exemptions to vaccine requirements:
The North American Division of Seventh-day Adventists (NAD) is committed to sharing hope and wholeness through the healing ministry of Christ by promoting the Church’s historic health message. This includes caring for our own bodies as the temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:19,20) and ministering to the health of others within our community (Isaiah 58).
In line with this commitment, the NAD fully supports the Seventh-day Adventist Church’s statement encouraging “responsible immunization/vaccination,” and as such has “no religious or faith-based reason not to encourage [its] adherents to responsibly participate in protective and preventive immunization programs.”
While the Church’s statement recognizes it is “not the conscience of the individual church member, and recognize[s] individual choices,” the choice not to be vaccinated is not based on Seventh-day Adventist Church teachings or doctrine. For this reason, the Adventist church in North America does not provide Church-endorsed vaccine exemption request letters.
The Seventh-day Adventist Church respects convictions of conscience. While the NAD cannot endorse that vaccine refusal represents Adventist teachings, your local Union Public Affairs and Religious Liberty ministry is available to advise you in writing your own letter if you choose to pursue an individual vaccine exemption.
SYMPOSIUM: "Is the COVID-19 Vaccine Trustworthy? A Biblical Conversation About Science"
On May 15, the North American Division broadcast this symposium on COVID-19 vaccines. Healthcare professionals, communication experts, and church theologians gathered to help make sure church members are well informed when deciding whether to take the vaccine. Read the news report by clicking HERE; watch the symposium below (presentation begins at 2:20).
COVID-19 Vaccine Information
General Conference Guidance on Immunizations
- GC Guidelines on Immunization: https://www.adventist.org/guidelines/immunization/
- "COVID-19 Vaccines: Addressing Concerns, Offering Counsel," December 2020 article: https://adventist.news/en/news/covid-19-vaccines-addressing-concerns-offering-counsel
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Links
- Basic information: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/keythingstoknow.html
- Benefits of getting the vaccine: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/vaccine-benefits.html
- About the vaccines: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines.html
- Specific populations: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/specific-groups.html
World Health Organization (WHO) Links
- COVID-19 vaccines: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/covid-19-vaccines
- WHO’s "Science in 5 on COVID-19: Vaccines, Variants & Doses" [video]: https://youtu.be/uwGipawrJQo
AdventHealth Vaccine Resource Hub
- Resource links: https://www.adventhealth.com/coronavirus-resource-hub/adventhealth-coronavirus-vaccine-resource-hub
Johns Hopkins Medicine - Health
- COVID-19 Vaccines: "Myth Versus Fact": https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccines-myth-versus-fact
NAD Webinar on Vaccines
The COVID-19 Vaccines: "Sorting Through Facts, Sharing Our Mission": https://nadhealth.org/ministry-goals-series/the-covid-19-vaccines/
The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) Link
"Coronavirus mRNA Vaccine Safety and Efficacy" [video]: https://youtu.be/OvPg6PMI-q0
- NAD Administration Shares Information Regarding COVID-19 and Division Response: https://www.nadadventist.org/news/nad-administration-shares-information-regarding-covid-19-and-division-response
- La administración de la División Norteamericana comparte información sobre COVID-19 y la respuesta de la División: https://www.nadadventist.org/news/la-administracion-de-la-division-norteamericana-comparte-informacion-sobre-covid-19-y-la
- NAD Administration Provides Guidance for Church in North America During the COVID-19 Pandemic: https://www.nadadventist.org/news/nad-administration-provides-guidance-church-north-america-during-covid-19-pandemic
- La administración de la NAD brinda una guía para la Iglesia en Norteamérica durante la pandemia COVID-19: https://www.nadadventist.org/news/la-administracion-de-la-nad-brinda-una-guia-para-la-iglesia-en-norteamerica-durante-la
- NAD Leadership Announces Transition to Virtual Office in Response to COVID-19: https://www.nadadventist.org/news/nad-leadership-announces-transition-virtual-office-response-covid-19
- Seventh-day Adventist Higher Education in North America Issues Statement During COVID-19 Pandemic Closures: https://www.nadadventist.org/news/seventh-day-adventist-higher-education-north-america-issues-statement-during-covid-19-pandemic
VACCINE SPECIFIC VIDEOS AND ARTICLES
- COVID-19 Vaccines: Addressing Concerns, Offering Counsel: https://www.nadadventist.org/news/covid-19-vaccines-addressing-concerns-offering-counsel
- Understanding the Safety and Efficacy of the COVID-19 Vaccine [interview with Dr. Steven Smith]: https://www.nadadventist.org/news/understanding-safety-and-efficacy-covid-19-vaccine
- AdventHealth Interview With Dr. Alric Simmonds Addresses Hesitancy Toward Taking COVID-19 Vaccination [video]: https://www.nadadventist.org/news/adventhealth-interview-addresses-hesitancy-toward-taking-covid-19-vaccination
- Getting Your Vaccine: An NAD Officer Goes to His Appointment [video]:https://www.nadadventist.org/news/getting-your-vaccine-nad-officer-goes-his-appointment
LIFESTYLE/PERSONALLY HELPFUL ARTICLES
- "Is Quarantining Really Necessary?" NAD Health Ministries director weighs in: https://www.nadadventist.org/news/quarantining-really-necessary
- "Before You Reopen Your House of Worship, Consider This" [thoughts/questions for churches]: https://www.nadadventist.org/news/you-reopen-your-house-worship-consider
- "'Dear Coronavirus' Videos Circle the World": https://www.nadadventist.org/news/dear-coronavirus-videos-circle-world
- "AdventHealth Chaplains, Leaders Meet Human Needs Amid Coronavirus Pandemic": https://www.nadadventist.org/news/adventhealth-chaplains-leaders-meet-human-needs-amid-coronavirus-pandemic
NAD FUNDING NEWS — COVID-19 RELATED
- "NAD Leadership Provides Guidance on Government Funding Assistance Due to COVID-19 Crisis": https://www.nadadventist.org/news/nad-leadership-provides-guidance-government-funding-assistance-due-covid-19-crisis
- "El Liderazgo de la NAD brinda orientación sobre la asistencia financiera del gobierno debido a la crisis de COVID-19": https://www.nadadventist.org/news/el-liderazgo-de-la-nad-brinda-orientacion-sobre-la-asistencia-financiera-del-gobierno-debido