Registration and housing available now!
Purpose of the Conference:
This gathering is intended to spend some intentional time to reflect upon the significant contributions of women in Adventist history. This conference is intended to encourage scholarship and to submit papers that will result in a book to help increase awareness of women’s contribution across our Adventist past. Keynote speakers will help to situate the roles and contributions of women within the larger context of Adventist history. A wide variety of topics are encouraged for consideration as papers including:
• Stories of women who have served in a variety of roles within the church (pastoral, education, healthcare, publishing and editing, finance, etc.).
• The contributions of women as scholars and to scholarship.
• Women who have worked actively on behalf of social justice and who have served as leaders in their communities.
• The economics that have impacted women’s roles, both in the home and in the church and society, and the ability to work (or not) juxtaposed with familial responsibilities.
• Women who have served as missionaries, particularly single women, and who have paved the way for the expansion of Adventist missions around the world.
• The contributions of women in the arts (as musicians, writing hymns, as artists and illustrators, etc.).
• Women in medicine and healthcare leadership. How have women shaped the development of Adventist healthcare systems within Adventism.
Thursday, October 12
|5:00 p.m.||Reception and mixer|
|6:00 p.m.||Welcome and Remarks: G. Alexander Bryant|
|6:30–7:30 p.m.||Keynote: Anneke Stasson – "Women in the Mission of the Church"|
|7:30–9:00 p.m.||Paper Session #1 (3 papers each)|
Friday, October 13
|8:30 a.m.||Worship: Kevin Burton – "Millerite Women"|
|9:00 a.m.||Plenary: Laura Vance – "From Leadership to Headship: Contextualizing Adventist Gender Ideals"|
|10:15 a.m.||Paper Session #2|
|1:30 p.m.||Plenary: Heidi Olson Campbell – "The Forgotten"|
|2:15 p.m.||Paper Session #3|
|4:00 p.m.||Paper Session #4|
|7:00 p.m.||Vespers Plenary: Ann Roda|
Sabbath, October 14
|9:30 a.m.||Devotional: Sandy Roberts|
|10:00 a.m.||Panel Session hosted by Celeste Ryan-Blyden|
|11:00 a.m.||Sligo Worship Service: Ella Simmons|
|2:00 p.m.||Walking Tour of Women's Historic Sites|
|4:00 p.m.||Paper Session #5|
|7:00 p.m.||Concluding Session with DeeAnn Bragaw|
Director, NAD Women's Ministries
Director, Center for Adventist Research
Heidi Olson Campbell
Author and Historian, Ph.D. candidate, Baylor University
Executive Secretary, Pacific Union Conference
Vice President, Mission Integration, Adventist HealthCare
Celeste Ryan Blyden
Executive Secretary, Columbia Union Conference
General Vice President Emeritus, General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists
Director of Women's Ministries, General Conference
Associate Professor of Humanities and History, Indiana Wesleyan University
Professor of Sociology and Social Science Division Chair, Brevard College
or Call: 443-391-7120