Archived NewsPoints and Friday Faxes
NAD NewsPoints, 2010
|February 19, 2010 Special Edition
A News and Information Service
for Leaders in North America
1-page PDF Version
From the editor —
HELPING HAITI (AND NOT HELPING HAITI)
Dear Church Leaders in North America,
We have watched the events in Haiti unfold and reveal, in the words of Hillary Clinton, “a catastrophe of Biblical proportions.” It has stirred that human and spiritual urge in all of us to do something. I want to thank each of you for all that you have done and will do in the upcoming months and years for our brothers and sisters in Haiti.
We have been in dialogue with the leadership in the Inter-American Division through the General Conference leadership. They are seeking our cooperation in dealing with this most difficult challenge in the following ways:
1.) At this time they are requesting only volunteers that can provide medical assistance and that to be coordinated through the Health Department of the Inter-American Division.
2.) There is little infrastructure to provide security, clean water and many of the basic necessities of life. Even our ADRA volunteers are proceeding with extreme caution. The situation there on the ground has become very unstable. Therefore, they are asking for no groups to go to Haiti without going through the proper protocol.
3.) There is a need for all volunteers to receive some basic training and orientation in terms of the environment that they will be ministering.
Therefore, we are asking that the NAD office sponsor no groups to Haiti with the exception of medical personnel until further notice. Even the medical volunteers should still go through the normal process that goes through the Office of Volunteer Ministries operated out of NAD Secretariat. This is to ensure they have the proper insurances and other coverage as they go into a foreign country. We are also asking for everyone throughout the division to cooperate with the desire of our brothers and sisters in our sister division. This will include academies, colleges and our churches. In addition, we feel there are some very serious security concerns in Haiti at this time and we must be prudent in how we proceed.
There will be plenty of opportunities in the future as they get past this initial phase of the catastrophe. Thank you for your cooperation in this endeavor.
G. Alexander Bryant
North American Division Executive Secretary
• Healthy People Conference, Mar 9-10, 2010–Loma Linda University School of Public Health, Loma Linda, CA – www.healthypeopleconference.org or (800) 732-7587
• K.I.D. University, Mar 21-24, Collegedale, TN – www.kidsindiscipleship.org/training
• Journey Towards Intimacy Marriage Retreat, Mar 19-21, Nevada-Utah Conference – email@example.com
• Coach Certification Training – Part 1, Mar 23, 24, Berrien Springs, MI – www.nadei.org/article.php?id=252
• Andrews Music and Worship Conference, Mar 25-27, 2010 – Berrien Springs, MI - www.auworshipconference.org
• Adventist Community Services Convention, Mar 28 – Apr 3, Orlando, FL -- www.communityservices.org
• 4 EXTREMES, Just Claim It 2, YPAC Convention, Ignition, and Children’s Worship Conference, Apr 7–11, Columbus, Ohio – 301-680-6472 or www.jci2.org
• SONscreen Film Festival VIII, GC Special Edition Showcas`|&nas0:une 26-27, – www.sonscreen.com
• Spanish From This Day Forward Marriage Conference, A0s017, Woodcliff Lake, NJ, – www.adventistfamilyministries.com
• Nonprofit Leadership Certification Program/Basic, May 16–20, Denver, CO – www.plusline.org/events
• Journey Towards Intimacy Marriage Retreat, June 4-5, Alaska Conference – www.adventis}f!hylyministries.com
• SEEDS Plus 2010 Pre-Conference Session, “Reaching Our Cities . . . Forward with Courage,” June 18-20, Collegedale, TN – www.NADEI.org
• K.I.D. Plant, June 18-20, Collegedale, TN – www.kidsindiscipleship.org/training
• SEEDS Plus 2010 Conference, “Reaching Our Cities . . . Forward with Courage,” June 21-23, Collegedale, TN – www.NADEI.org
• ONE-Day Broad Spectrum Ministry Training Initiative – Pre-GC Session Adult Ministries Training Day, June 21, Atlanta, GA – 301-680-6430
• World Adventist Chaplain Summit, June 22-27, Atlanta, GA – www.nad.adventistchaplains.org
• GC Session 2010 "Proclaiming God's Grace," June 23 - July 3, Atlanta, GA – www.gcsession.org