Archived NewsPoints and Friday Faxes
|October 9, 2009
A News and Information Service
for Leaders in North America
1-page PDF Version
IN THIS ISSUE —
● Online Adventist Giving Increases
● [Corrected]: ONLINE ADVENTIST GIVING (AG) and the number of churches using AG has increased by more than 50% in the past year. In September 2008, the total amount given through AG was $2,050,722. In September 2009, the total amount given was $3,158,033.62.
The Church encourages the use of electronic check transfers rather than credit cards. The reason is that credit cards charge 2% of each donation (or more in some cases), debit cards cost about 1% of each donation, while electronic checks cost only 18¢ per donation for any amount. With 35% of donors using electronic checks, the Church saved approximately $20,000 in credit card fees during the month of September.
Recent news articles indicate that consumers in the U.S. are increasing their use of debit cards over credit cards to avoid going into debt.
Contact: www.AdventistGiving.org to learn how to enroll churches in online AdventistGiving.
● ANNUAL COUNCIL PROGRAMS WILL BE BROADCAST on the Hope Channel and the Hope Church Channel as follows:
Fri, Oct 9, 6:30-7:30 p.m. ET; and Sabbath, Oct 10, 9:30 a.m. -12:30 p.m. ET
● THE NAD IS SUPPLYING A PORTUGUESE LANGUAGE SATELLITE FEED to the world. The transmission for the Dallas Portuguese Net Evangelism feed, “Contagem Regressiva,” goes through 7 carriers and 5 satellites to four divisions of the Seventh-day Adventist worldwide Church. In under 4 seconds the signal will travel just over 310,000 miles from the studio contribution in Brazil to a viewer in Mozambique. The SDA membership in the four divisions (North American, Inter-American, South African, and South Africa-Indian Ocean Divisions) receiving the program from Dallas, Texas, account for more the half of all Adventist membership worldwide.
It is being broadcast live, Oct 1-17, 8:00 – 9:30 p.m. ET, and rebroadcast 10:30 p.m. – 12:00 a.m. ET.
Contact: www.Contagemregressiva.com and www.esperanzatv.org.
● 180° SYMPOSIUM — The Center for Youth Evangelism is calling its 2nd annual 180̊ Symposium, hosted at Andrews University Seminary, Oct 19-22. Chris Blake will be moderating this year’s topic of Public Campus Ministry.
There are two open sessions. First, Oct 19, 1:00-5:00 p.m., a review of 2009 180̊ Symposium. Second, Oct 20, 8:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. and 1:30-6:30 p.m. for a Q & A for this year's topic.
Contact: www.180symposium.org for more information.
● YOUTH LEADERS DEVELOPMENT (YLD) ANNUAL SUMMIT, OCT 23-25 — Andrews University will once again host the YLD Annual Summit with over 52 hours of youth and young adult ministry seminars by specialist trainers. Space is limited.
Contact: www.adventistyouth.org for more information and to register. Cost: $35 per person, not including lodging and meals.
● INMINISTRY FIELD INTENSIVES: CONTINUING EDUCATION FOR PASTORS, serves NAD’s pastors. Currently serving 7 unions, classes are conducted twice each year in mid-April and early November. Each event includes two classes, allowing completion of the MAPMin degree in less than four years.
Tuition, except books and travel expenses, is totally covered by subsidies from each union. Acceptance required prior to attending.
Contact: www.inministry.info for November schedule and locations. If questions, call 269-471-3514 or email email@example.com.
INSIDE SCOOP —
● THE ATLANTA-BEREAN CHURCH IN GEORGIA IS THE 2009 INNOVATIVE CHURCH OF THE YEAR, as selected by NAD’s Church Resource Center. Pastor Carlton Byrd accepted the award at the National Conference on Innovation in Columbus, Ohio Monday. Atlanta Berean will likely surpass 500 baptisms in 2009.
Contact: www.atlantabereansda.org to learn more about the church.
UPCOMING EVENTS —
For a more complete list of upcoming events go to www.nadadventist.org/article.php?id=350
• Portuguese NET 2009 Series, via Esperanza TV from Dallas, TX Oct 10-17 – www.contagemregressiva.com
• Nonprofit Leadership Certification Program- Level II, Oct 11-15, Burleson, TX – www.plusline.org/events
• Society of Adventist Communicators, Oct 15-18, Newport Beach, CA – www.adventistcommunicator.org
• LeaderShaping Conference for Women, Oct 16-18, La Sierra, CA – www.AdventistWomensCenter.org
• Youth & Young Adult Ministries Leadership Training/Atlantic Union, Brooklyn, NY, Oct 17 – www.innovation2009.com
• Hispanic NET 2009 Series, Oct 24-31, via Esperanza TV from Portland, OR – www.redsecretosdelavida.com
• NAD Year-end Meeting, Nov 5-9, Silver Spring, MD – www.nadadventist.org
• K.I.D. University, Nov 8-11, Collegedale, TN – www.KidsInDiscipleship.org
• Children's Ministries Training, Nov 12-15, Pine Springs Ranch, CA – www.gofishconference.net
• Young Adventist Haitians in America (YAHA) Convention, Nov 12-15, Jacksonville, FL – www.plusline.org
• "From This Day Forward" Marriage Conference, Nov 14, Riverside, CA – www.adventistfamilyministries.com
• Youth & Young Adult Ministries Leadership Training/Canada, Nov 21, Toronto, ON – www.innovation2009.com
• WestPoint of Evangelism, Dec 6-9, Simi Valley CA – http://paucministerial.adventistfaith.org/westpoint-of-evangelism