Archived NewsPoints and Friday Faxes
August 7, 2009
|IN THIS ISSUE —
● Reminder: Mike Tucker to be on TBN Wed, Thur
● Low Power TV Filings Begin Aug 25
● 2009 ASI Convention Online
● Six-Student School in Appalachia Raises $11,500 for Mission Project
● Upcoming Events
● REMINDER: MIKE TUCKER WILL BE ON TBN’S SHOW, “Praise the Lord” (PTL), which will be hosted by Clifton Davis. It will air at 10:00 p.m. ET Wed, Aug 12, and repeated Thur, Aug 13 at 5 p.m. ET.
● LOW POWER TV FILINGS BEGIN AUGUST 25 — The FCC has adopted a new regimen for the filing of new and major change low power television applications. In place of limited-time occasional filing windows, the system will revert to open-ended opportunities for filing new applications on a first-come first-served basis with no closing deadline.
Beginning Aug 25, an interested party (including incumbent LPTV and TV translator licensees) may file applications for new digital-only LPTV and TV translator stations, for changes to existing analog and digital stations, and in the case of incumbent analog stations, for new digital companion channel stations. Initially, this filing opportunity will be limited to rural areas. To be acceptable, an application must specify a transmitter site that is more than 75 miles (i.e., 121 kilometers) away from the reference coordinates for the 100 largest television markets in the United States. This geographic restriction will be eliminated on Jan 25, 2010. As of that date, applicants may specify antenna sites anywhere in the nation.
All applications must be filed electronically online. The FCC will charge a $705.00 filing fee for applications for new digital stations and for digital and analog major change applications. There is no filing fee for flash-cut, digital companion channel or digital replacement applications.
Contact: www.fcc.gov for details and to file applications. Contact Donald Martin, P.C., in Falls Church, VA, for assistance, if needed, at 703-642-2344 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
● THE 2009 ASI CONVENTION, themed, By Knowing Him, began Wed evening. You no doubt have heard of the inspiring stories and ministries that are presented every year at this convention. Now you can attend via the Internet. Session and seminar videos will be available online shortly after the completion of each program.
Contact: http://www.asiministries.org/convention and click on the Convention Videos banner and/or go to www.asiministries.org/2009-convention-seminars for the seminars.
Read about the ASI Convention Offering Projects at http://www.asiministries.org/convention-projects. Some of the projects are: Congo Frontline Missions, which will expand their ministry in the Congo River Basin. God's Helping Hands will build an evangelistic outreach center in Guatemala. Living Waters International will upgrade their feeding center and other facilities in Kenya. Riverside Farm will purchase new buses and a wheat drill. Weimar Center of Health & Education will launch a Licensed Vocational Nurse program. Advent Home Learning Center will build new staff housing. Fanantenana Training Center will print inexpensive Malagasy-language Ellen G. White books. NAPS will build a missionary outpost in Guyana. People of Peru Project will build a new girl's dormitory. Wildwood LIGHT will establish health evangelism training centers around the world.
Lightbearers Ministry has released a new video highlighting their worldwide outreach, which includes providing more than half a billion pieces of literature to Africa. See the video at http://lbm.org/home.
INSIDE SCOOP —
● ALL CHURCH SCHOOLS IN NAD WERE ASKED TO RAISE $5 PER STUDENT for the Maluti Mission School in Africa. One little church school in a poor area of eastern Kentucky, with only six students, raised $11,500 for the project.
Contact: www.nadadventist.org for the news story.
UPCOMING EVENTS —
For a more complete list of upcoming events go to
• Pathfinder "Courage to Stand" Camporee, Aug 11-15 - Oshkosh WI – www.camporee.org
• Adventist Correction Chaplains Conference, Aug 26-29, New England Denominational History Tour
• Adventist Urban Congress, Aug 30-Sept 2, Dallas, TX – www.plusline.org
• Children's Ministries Training, Sept 11-13, Orlando, FL – www.childmin.com
• K.I.D. University, Sept 13-16, Collegedale, TN – www.KidsInDiscipleship.org
• UCAA Vervent Worship Conference, Sept 18-19, Atlanta, GA – www.ucaaonline.org
• Adventist Muslim Relations Summit West, Sept 24-26, La Sierra, CA – www.plusline.org/events
• Women’s Ministry Convention, Sept 25-27, Dallas, TX – www.nadwm.org
• "From This Day Forward" Marriage Conference, Sept 26, Minneapolis, MN – www.adventistfamilyministries.com
• Portuguese NET 2009 Series, via Esperanza TV from Dallas, TX Oct 10-17 – www.contagemregressiva.com
• Nonprofit Leadership Certification Program- Level II, Oct 11-15, Burleson, TX – www.plusline.org/events
• Society of Adventist Communicators, Oct 15-18, Newport Beach, CA – www.adventistcommunicator.org
• Youth & Young Adult Ministries Leadership Training/Atlantic Union, Brooklyn, NY, Oct 17 – www.innovation2009.com
• Hispanic NET 2009 Series, Oct 24-31, via Esperanza TV from Portland, OR – www.redsecretosdelavida.com