Archived NewsPoints and Friday Faxes
March 20, 2009
A News and Information Service for Leaders in North America
IN THIS ISSUE —
■ NAD Adventist Single Adult Ministries Convention
■ Cruise with a Mission to the Caribbean Extends Deadline
■ 2009 International Year of the Child Resources and Ideas
■ Follow the Voice of Prophecy Now on Twitter
■ Hispanic Young People Attracted by Website
■ Sabbath-Keeping Football Player in the News
■ News Report of Crashing Eucalyptus at Loma Linda University
■ Upcoming Events
— RESOURCES —
■ ADVENTIST SINGLE ADULT MINISTRIES CONVENTION will be held July 2-4, in Newport Beach, Calif. All single adults from 18 to 100+ years of age are invited to attend. This includes those who are currently: never married, divorcee, widower or single parent. Early-bird rates are available through April 30.
Contact: http://www.plusline.org/eventdetail.php?id=10104 for more information and to register.
■ CRUISE WITH A MISSION (CWM) is a Caribbean cruise, a mission trip, and a spiritual retreat all wrapped up in one. It will sail December 3-20. Young adults from all over the world are excited and getting involved. The $350 deposit deadline has been extended to May 29 (formerly Mar. 30). In addition, the cruise company, Holland America, has lowered room prices! Now you can get a cabin starting at $549 per person plus the $350 CWM registration fee.
Contact: www.cruisewithamission.org for details and get on board.
■ 2009 IS THE INTERNATIONAL YEAR OF THE CHILD as chosen by the divisions. The objectives are to: mobilize the Adventist community to support fully the important work of evangelizing children; raise the profile of children, their needs and value; celebrate the contribution of children to the life of the Adventist Church and to society; elevate the importance of children’s workers and create awareness of their ministries, programs and resources needs; challenge the Adventist Church to a new and fresh vision of investing in children first; facilitate new initiatives for implementing effective long-term discipleship for children; and strengthen families within the Adventist Church by providing training and resources for healthy parent-child relationships.
Contact: www.childmin.com under News and Updates for Year of the Child resources and ideas.
■ FOLLOW THE VOICE OF PROPHECY AIR TEAM ON TWITTER — Go to www.twitter.com and sign in. Search for “VOP_Ministry” or “Voice of Prophecy” to find the Voice of Prophecy.
■ A LACK OF INTEREST AND RESOURCES AMONG YOUNG PEOPLE, an especially Internet-savvy group, led William Armendaris to create a Website for the Hispanic community. The site includes Spanish-language Christian resources, including Bible studies, social networking, a Q&A section dealing with issues faced by young people, inspirational videos, audios, texts and photos. The goal was to reach Spanish-speaking hard-to-reach places and people.
The site attracts around 208,000 visitors from around the world each month, with more than 100,0000 from Texas. The all-volunteer ministry is based in Maryland. They are challenged to keep up with more than 300 emails a day and to meet demands with their limited resources.
Contact: www.PCJovenes.com (Por Cristo Jóvenes–Youth for Christ) to see the site. Invite your Hispanic young people to visit also.
— INSIDE SCOOP —
■ SABBATH-KEEPING FOOTBALL PLAYER IN THE NEWS — Kwame Mensah is on his high school’s top-ranked football team and has kept the Sabbath for all four years, refusing to play on Saturdays which is when most of the games are played. His faith was reported on local Tulsa, Oklahoma television and in the newspaper.
Contact: http://tinyurl.com/d4mdxm for the February edition of the Southwestern Union Record to read the full story.
■ A VERY OLD EUCALYPTUS TREE CAME CRASHING DOWN over the parking lot near the women’s dorm at Loma Linda University, damaging several cars. No one was injured.
Contact: http://tinyurl.com/crzalz to watch the local news video report.
— UPCOMING EVENTS —
For a more complete list of upcoming events go to www.nadadventist.org/article.php?id=350
• Andrews University Music & Worship Conference, Mar 26-28, Berrien Springs, MI – www.auworshipconference.org
• Children's Ministries Training, Apr 3-5, Cohutta Springs, Crandall, GA – www.childmin.com
• K.I.D. University, Apr 3-5, Portland, OR – www.kidsindiscipleship.org
• Spanish "From This Day Forward" Marriage Conference (De Hoy En Adelante),
Apr 4, Charlotte, NC – www.adventistfamilyministries.com
• K.I.D. University, Apr 12-15, Collegedale, TN – www.kidsindiscipleship.org/index.php
• SONscreen Film Festival VII, Apr 16-18, Simi Valley, CA – www.sonscreen.com
• K.I.D. University, Apr 16-19, National City, CA – www.kidsindiscipleship.org/index.php
• NAD Adult Sabbath School Summit, “One Mission, Many Methods," Apr 24-25, Silver Spring, MD – www.plusline.org
• Youth & Young Adult Ministries Leadership Training/Lake Union, West Michigan Youth Rally, MI, April 24-25 – www.innovation2009.com
• "From This Day Forward" Marriage Conference, Apr 25, Philadelphia, PA – www.adventistfamilyministries.com
• Nonprofit Leadership Certification Program- Level I, May 3-7, Burleson, TX - www.plusline.org