Archived Friday Faxes
October 24, 2008
A News and Information Service for Leaders in North America
2-page PDF Version
IN THIS ISSUE —
■ Discoveries ‘08 Updates for More than 1,000 Site Hosts and Viewers
■ More than 1 Million New Members and other Annual Council Reports
■ Churches Nationwide Asked to Fast and Pray for U.S. Election
■ National Religious Broadcasters Add Adventist Shows to Lineup
■ New Address System for Andrews University
■ SDALink Now Provides Video Chat and Video Conferencing
■ Final Report on NAD President Don Schneider’s Health
■ Upcoming Events
— RESOURCES —
■ MORE THAN 1,000 SITES HAVE SIGNED UP FOR DISCOVERIES '08, OCT. 24 TO NOV. 29 — Uplinked from Orlando, Fla, it will be broadcast 7:15-8:30 p.m. ET/PT on the Hope Channel, and 7:30-8:45p.m. CT on 3ABN. Sites in the Mountain time zone should record and play as convenient.
Viewers will be able to submit video questions via YouTube to be answered on the live broadcast of Discoveries '08. See instructions at www.discoveries08.org.
Exclusive for hosts and staff — Every Sunday beginning Oct. 26, 2:00-3:00 p.m. ET during the series (rebroadcasting Tuesdays 2:00-3:00 p.m. ET), Mark Finley will hold a live televised meeting.
Spanish translation will be on the Esperanza Channel every night except Nov. 1-8 in the Eastern time zone. Eastern host sites will need to record the Pacific time zone feed to play later.
Contact: www.acn.info/bulletin.htm for schedules and more.
The www.Discoveries08.org website is now changed for public use. Hosts and staff should use new site, coordinator.Discoveries08.org for host resources and information. Notice that you should not use "www" at the beginning of the address.
■ MORE THAN 1 MILLION JOINED IN PAST YEAR — The Seventh-day Adventist Church world membership is now nearly 16 million. You can read about this and other stories such as: Church Budget Adjusts For Tough Financial Times, GC Committee Seeks Major Administrative Changes and others. See the October 15 Annual Council report in AR INTOUCH, the online edition of the Adventist Review.
— INSIDE SCOOP —
■ CHURCHES NATIONWIDE ARE BEING ASKED TO FAST AND PRAY FOR THE ELECTION, especially during the 7 days (Oct. 28 to Nov. 3) before Election Day, Nov. 4, and especially on the 3rd, the day before election. And don’t forget to vote.
■ THE NATIONAL RELIGIOUS BROADCASTERS (NRB) NETWORK has added several of our shows to its lineup:
• Keeping The Faith, a women's issue show featuring Connie Vandeman Jeffery, starts Wed., Jan. 7, 10 a.m. ET.
• The Evidence, featuring Dwight Nelson, Tue., Oct. 28, 7:30 p.m. ET.
• All three of our Christmas dramas, All Is Bright, Love's Pure Light and Christmas at Cadillac Jack's, have been picked up. Times and dates of airing are TBA. The NRB Network's Director of Programming, said that most of the committee has seen the entire Christmas at Cadillac Jack's. He stated, "They just loved that show and had to see how it ended."
The NRB Network is included in DIRECTV's base package (TOTAL CHOICE) on Channel 378 (making it available to all DIRECTV subscribers) which reaches 17.5 million homes.
This a significant day for Adventist media! – Fred Kinsey, Assistant to the President for Communication
■ NEW ADDRESS SYSTEM FOR ANDREWS UNIVERSITY — Effective immediately, a new system providing traditional street addresses for individual campus buildings is in place for all of Andrews University. The new addresses, created in conjunction with Berrien County, will aid in 911 dispatch services, package delivery and eventually allow for GPS service.
Contact: www.andrews.edu/news/agenda/au_addresses.pdf. For a list of the new building addresses. The campus map reflects the new street names and is available at www.andrews.edu/about/visiting/campus_map.
■ SDALINK NOW PROVIDES VIDEO CHAT AND VIDEO CONFERENCING — All SDALink members now have access to unlimited face-to-face video meetings with other SDALink members in groups or private one-to-one video chat.
Contact: www.sdalink.com/vidchat for details.
■ FINAL REPORT ON PRESIDENT DON SCHNEIDER —
Tuesday, October 21
Perhaps you’ve wondered how God is answering your prayers for Don’s health.
On October 4 we said that Don would soon be back at work . . . and he is! He has worked two half days and tomorrow he flies to his first appointment out of town.
Let us tell you some evidences of his growing health —
* His vision seems excellent (much better than just prior to surgery).
* His thermostat is working normally (he had been cold prior to surgery).
* He is sleeping well and waking easily (he had needed 10 hours of sleep prior to surgery).
* His left leg which had seemed weak ever since his first surgery, especially noticeable when he walked down steps, has suddenly gained its normal strength (we believe the previous weakness was a result of the cyst placing pressure on his brain).
Don’s cyst was more than 60 years in the making, since it is believed it was formed at conception. The doctors do not know whether it will fill again or not. Let me tell you about our daily prayer. Because there is no cure for Don’s cyst, only the removal of fluid when it has re-filled, we pray each morning — Lord, the doctors don’t know what to do to cure this cyst, neither do we. We are totally dependent on You. We release Don to Your care and beg You to protect Don for today. You have all power. If it is according to Your plan and for Your glory, we ask you to heal Don completely. And no matter what, we commit ourselves to You.
When we release all the worry and struggle to “do something” ourselves, there is a resulting peace. What a blessing it is!
Thank you for continuing to lift Don up in prayer for God, not man, to work in his behalf.
Marti and Don
— UPCOMING EVENTS —
For a more complete list of upcoming events go to www.nadadventist.org/article.php?id=280
• NET 2008, with Mark Finley live via satellite, October 24 - November 29, Forest Lake Church, Apopka, FL - www.acn.info
• “From This Day Forward/Seattle” Marriage Conference, November 8, Seattle, WA – www.adventistfamilyministries.com
• UCAA 4th Annual Music Conference, November 13-15, Nashville, Tennessee - email@example.com
• NAD Adventist Association of Camping Professionals, December 4-6, Pine Lake Retreat Center, FL – http://www.adventistcamps.org, http://www.adventistcamps.org
• Instep for Life Begins Division-wide, Jan 1
• Youth & Young Adult Ministries Leadership Training, Jan 16-18, Spanish “Gente Joven”/East Coast – www.innovation2009.com
• Adventist Ministries Convention 2009 - Jan 18-21, Myrtle Beach, NC – www.comeseegotell.org