Archived Friday Faxes
FRIDAY FAX Special Edition
June 6, 2008
A News and Information Service for Leaders in North America
1-page PDF Version
IN THIS ISSUE —
■ Online Discover Bible Guides via Cell Phone
■ Updated Seventh-day Adventist® Logo
■ Bridges 101
■ Abuse Prevention Emphasis Sabbath Materials
■ Oakwoodites Connect
■ 50% Off – Graduate Certificate in Family Life Education Intensive
■ Peer-to-Peer Sermon Evaluation Tool
■ Upcoming Event
■ DISCOVER BY CELL PHONE — The Discover Bible Guides are now available by cell phone.
Contact: www.biblestudies.com/cell through your cell phone browser to try it out. You can take your first lesson and register for future log-in. More details are available at the NAD website at www.nadadventist.org in the news section. Read it now before it drifts off the page.
■ UPDATED SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST LOGO — It now includes the ® registered trademark symbol. Update your stationary, business cards, newsletterheads, church bulletins, and other printed items the next time you order. Use the ® after the first use of the word “Adventist” in a document. Adventist Church Connect web sites have been updated.
Contact: www.adventist.org/logokit to download the updated logos.
■ BRIDGES 101 — This book will help pastors and lay members learn ways to build bridges instead of walls. Especially relevant to pre-NET 2008 and the 2009 Year of Pastoral Evangelism. Ruthie Jacobson shares some refreshing ideas for regular people who have given the Lord of the harvest permission to throw us into His harvest. Jacobson's lively stories demonstrate that witnessing can be stress-free, creative, fulfilling, and even fun! Every chapter will open your eyes to new possibilities for sharing your love for Jesus in your neighborhood.
Contact: www.adventsource.org/book.aspx?ID=35614 for more information or to order.
■ ABUSE PREVENTION EMPHASIS SABBATH is August 23. The theme this year will be “Abuse of Power.” Five NAD departments, the Women’s Ministries, Family Ministries, Health Ministries, Children’s Ministries and the Ministerial Association are all collaborating to make materials and presentations available for local churches. Resources include a kit containing a sermon, a children's story, and a PowerPoint presentation for a Sabbath afternoon or Friday evening program. The kit is downloadable from websites of the supporting departments.
Contact: www.nadadventist.org and check for the department of your choice under “Ministries.”
■ OAKWOODITES CONNECT — A new website enables Oakwoodites to connect with acquaintances from Oakwood. This site, created by David Crawford and Carmela Monk Crawford, is dedicated to connecting Oakwoodites and things affiliated with Oakwood University. Former students are not required to have graduated from Oakwood to be a member.
■ GRADUATE CERTIFICATE IN FAMILY LIFE EDUCATION will be offered at 50% off the normal tuition price. The one-week intensive, July 13-25, will be at the Seventh-day Adventist Theological Seminary in Berrien Springs, Michigan. It is custom tailored for people on the move and will be taught with the help of Elder G. Edward Reid and Dr. Allan Martin. The goal is to develop strong healthy families in the church.
■ PEER-TO-PEER SERMON EVALUATION TOOL— Students, church elders and pastors can receive anonymous feedback on their preaching. If you have preaching responsibilities and wish to hone your skill, this is a great way to glean valuable feedback from people you select, without them having to identify themselves. Contact: www.bettersermons.org/go/demo for the peer review and more. BetterSermons.org was developed by the Pacific Union Conference. The site is designed to give Adventist preachers a selection of sermon ideas and outlines, preaching tips, resource links, and now a sermon evaluation tool.
— UPCOMING EVENTS —
A quick view of events sponsored by the North American Division. For a continually updated, more complete list, go to www.nadadventist.org/article.php?id=280.
• SEEDS Pre-Conference Session, June 9-11, Berrien Springs, MI – www.NADEI.org
• SEEDS 2008, June 11-14, Berrien Springs, MI – www.NADEI.org
• Religious Retreat for Adventist military personnel and families, June 12-15, Adventist Military Support Center/Europe, Garmisch, Germany - www.adventistchaplains.org
• 12th International PSI Conference on Philanthropy and Leadership Symposium, June 16-19,Tucson, AZ - www.plusline.org
• “From This Day Forward/ Bermuda” Marriage Conference, June 21, Southampton, Bermuda – www.adventistfamilyministries.com
• ACS Collaboration for Compassion, June 29 - July 5, Albuquerque, NM - www.plusline.org
• Global Internet Evangelism Network (GIEN) Forum, July 9-13, Denver, CO - www.plusline.org
• K.I.D. Training, July 20-23, Collegedale, TN - www.KidsInDiscipleship.org
• ASI Convention, August 6-9, Tampa, FL - www.asiministries.org
• Spanish NET 2008, "La Esperanza es Jesús," August 10-16, Chicago, IL - www.laesperanzaesjesus.org
• Women’s Ministry Convention, September 25-27, Dallas, TX - www.nadwm.org