Archived NewsPoints and Friday Faxes
Friday FAX 2007
FRIDAY FAX, Special Edition
November 16, 2007
A News and Information Service for Leaders in North America
1-page PDF Version
From the editor — Highlighted here is the Evangelism Initiative, which was dedicated at the 2007 NAD Year-end Meeting. Watch the News Section for updates at www.nadadventist.org.
A more complete report of the Year-end Meeting will be printed in the January issue of the Adventist World NAD edition.
— 2007 NAD YEAR-END MEETING —
EVANGELISM INITIATIVE – 2009, “YEAR OF PASTORAL EVANGELISM” (09YPE) — Imagine what could be done if, with the power of the Holy Spirit, we all worked together to fulfill our God-given mission! Ron Clouzet, NAD Ministerial Association Secretary, presented an outline for the 09YPE to the nearly 340 delegates at the session, challenging the North American Division to increase its membership by 10%, or about 100,000 new members every year. (There were 38,275 baptisms and professions of faith in 2006.) “It was impossible to see Nineveh repent. It was also impossible for a handful of Adventists to win the world,” said Clouzet. But I am reminded that what is impossible with men is possible with God” (Luke 18:27). Every pastor and leader is challenged to believe that through God, “not by power, nor by might, but by My Spirit” mountains shall become plain.
THE RECOMMENDED GOAL for every pastor, along with his leadership team, is to conduct at least two evangelism series each year in order to help meet the corporate goal of 100,000 baptisms a year.
Since the process of evangelism is analogous to sowing, growing, and reaping, it needs to be a continuous cycle punctuated by reaping each year. Although each year may have a distinct emphasis, all three aspects, Preparation, Proclamation, and Preservation should be included every year. Steps were recommended for each of these aspects of evangelism:
PREPARATION – Nine steps were suggested for preparation: 1) Covenant to prioritize time in Bible study and prayer while “fasting” from distractions. 2) Focus on the assurance and faith in Christ, and the work and indwelling of the Holy Spirit at conference and church meetings. 3) Seek the baptism of the Holy Spirit and to love God wholly. 4) Be ready to adopt the 09YPE initiatives and to challenge pastors at the next conference Workers’ Meeting. 5) Focus on Church Evangelism, The Holy Spirit, Revival, Personal Renewal, and Discipleship at annual Ministers’ Meetings. 6) Set aside faith-stretching funds above and beyond existing evangelism funds at every level of the Church. 7) Work with educational, health, and other institutions to enhance evangelistic and mission-minded opportunities. 8) Create a committee at every local and union conference to oversee development of promotional and training materials. 9) Utilize community outreach ministries in local churches.
PROCLAMATION – Nine ways of proclaiming the Gospel were suggested: 1) Aggressively promote evangelism to the field by any means possible. 2) Half of all churches do some form of significant evangelism in the Fall of 2008. 3) Let the 2009 NAD Ministries Convention be dedicated to The Year of Pastoral Evangelism. 4) Every conference, union and division leader hold or directly participate in at least one evangelistic series in 2009. 5) Every church pastor hold or participate in at least two evangelistic series in 2009. 6) Every church begin simultaneous public meetings in 2009. 7) The Division coordinate a national advertising campaign for the simultaneously-held meetings. 8) Each Conference plant 50% more new churches that their average over the last 10 years. 9) Every local church hold at least two periods of fasting and prayer, early in 2009 and just before the Fall meetings.
PRESERVATION – Three ways to preserve new members were recommended: discipleship, wholistic small groups, and reclamation ministry.
— UPCOMING EVENTS —
• Cruise With a Mission, December 16-23, Carribean cruise: Florida, Belize, Guatemala, Mexico - www.cruisewithamission.org
• Generation of Youth for Christ, December 19-23, Minneapolis, Minnesota - http://gycweb.org/conference
• Christmas Mission Trip, "Impact Taiwan," December 24 - January 5 - http://www.wcycs.org/main/main.asp
• Publishing Year-End Convention, "Receiving & Releasing the Power Now!" December 27-30, Atlanta, Georgia
• NAD-Wide Communion Service, December 28, Hope Channel uplinked live from the Adventist Media Center, Simi Valley, California - http://www.nadadventist.org/article.php?id=258
• Power of Prayer 2008: “Empower Us, Lord!” January 4, 5, via live streaming video - www.forestlakechurch.org
• Week of Devotion, “The Matchless Charms of Christ,” January 12-19, Loma Linda, California - www.lluc.org and www.llbn.tv
• Health Summit Orlando, February 1-9, Orlando, Florida - www.nadhealthsummit.com
• NAD Youth Leadership Summit/Convention, February 14-17, Dallas, Texas - http://ypac.adventistmeetings.com
Managing Editor – Lynetta Murdoch
To learn how to subscribe or unsubscribe go to
to “Sign Up for Newsletter Updates”