Archived NewsPoints and Friday Faxes
Friday FAX 2007
August 31, 2007
A News and Information Service for Leaders in North America
1-page PDF Version
IN THIS ISSUE —
■ 3rd Annual National Music Conference
■ Urgent Need for 100 Volunteer English Teachers
■ HeartQuest Will be Fast-Paced, TV Show Format for Postmoderns
■ New Era for Children’s Ministries Presents Challenges
■ Meet and Talk with LifeTalk Radio Listeners
■ Elder Robert Osborn Has Died
■ Union College Featured on Front Page of Lincoln Newspaper
■ A Reporter’s Impressions of Arlington, Texas Church
■ Adventist Radio May Blanket Canada
■ Upcoming Events
— RESOURCES —
■ THE 3RD ANNUAL UNITED CHRISTIAN ARTISTS ASSOCIATION’S MUSIC CONFERENCE will be held September 27-29 at the Miracle Temple church in Baltimore. Guests include Pastor Hyveth Williams, Pastor James Doggette, Cedric Dent from Take 6, and a concert by Alvin Slaughter.
■ GUAM, MICRONESIA, SAMYOOK URGENTLY NEED 100 VOLUNTEER ENGLISH TEACHERS, preferably people whose native language is English. One or two years of college needed to teach classrooms, but teaching experience may not be required.
Contact: Keith at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the NAD Office of Volunteers at 301-680-6492 for further information.
■ HEARTQUEST, WITH FAITH FOR TODAY SPEAKER Mike Tucker, will be a fast-paced 60-minute program in a TV show format designed to appeal to postmodern secular individuals. There will be a mix of interviews; professionally produced video clips; outstanding music, chosen to enhance the nightly message and performed by top-notch musicians; special features by talented communicators and visual aides specialists; and a 30-minute sermon. The uniquely-Adventist message will be presented wrapped in the gospel blanket of faith, hope, love, and grace.
Contact: www.HeartQuest.info/host to register for HeartQuest, to be broadcast October 19 - November 3.
■ NEW ERA FOR CHILDREN'S MINISTRIES — Volunteers and parents are challenged in providing spiritual experiences and biblical knowledge to this generation of children. Teaching methods are being revised and textbooks are being rewritten to accommodate their unique and increasingly diverse backgrounds and learning styles.
The Go Fish Convention in Loma Linda, California, November 8-11, will provide training and the most current research and information on the 21st century child. Children’s Ministries’ goal is to reach across cultural, socioeconomic boundaries and replace the secular worldview with a biblical worldview.
■ MEET AND TALK WITH LIFETALK RADIO listeners on the new website, www.LifeTalkRadio.ning.com, where listeners from all over the world can meet, talk, ask questions, and share what is on their heart.
View photos, videos and talk with other LifeTalk listeners. Respond to the forum or start your own.
Memberships are FREE.
— INSIDE SCOOP —
■ ELDER ROBERT OSBORN DIED on Friday, August 24, a month before his 86th birthday, after a quick bout with pneumonia. He was the Associate Treasurer of the General Conference from 1966-1995. Elder Osborn is the father of Ken Osborn, Assoc-iate Treasurer of the NAD, and Dick Osborn, President of Pacific Union College.
■ UNION COLLEGE WAS FEATURED on the first page of the Lincoln, Nebraska Journal Star. See the great story and video at http://journalstar.com.
■ READ ABOUT A REPORTER’S IMPRESSIONS of the Arlington, Texas Seventh-day Adventist Church when he happened to visit there one Sabbath. Mike Tucker, speaker for “HeartQuest” is the pastor of this church.
■ THERE IS A LOT OF EXCITEMENT IN CANADA with the possibility of putting repeater stations across Canada for their Newfoundland radio station. A part of the 13th Sabbath offering that comes to the North American Division will be used to help fund these stations. –(From the Desk of Don C. Schneider, 08/06/07)
— UPCOMING EVENTS —
A quick view of events sponsored by the North American Division
• ‘07 Revive! “Here We Stand: Foundations of Our Faith,” September 7-15, Lansing, Michigan -- www.07revive.com
• “From This Day Forward” Marriage Conferences, September 22, Denver, Colorado -- www.ftdf2007.org
• Adult Ministries Festival Of The Laity – September 26-29, Orlando, Florida, www.festivalofthelaity.com
• Vervent Worship Conference: 3rd Annual United Christian Artists Association’s Music and Worship Conference, September 27-29, Baltimore, Maryland – www.ucaaonline.org
• “Out of Thin Air” 4-day satellite series with Shawn Boonstra, September 28-October 1, www.thinairevent.com
• National Conference on Innovation, September 30 to October 2, Columbus, Ohio – www.sdapartnersininnovation.org
• Society of Adventist Communicators Convention, October 11-14, Nashville, Tennessee – www.plusline.org/events.php and www.adventistcommunicator.org/index.php
• Nonprofit Leadership Certification Program, Level II, October 14-19, Columbia Union College, Takoma Park, Maryland -- www.plusline.org
• NET 2007, “HeartQuest: Finding the One Who Has Loved You All Along,” Satellite direct-to-church event with Mike Tucker, October 19 - November 3, www.HeartQuest.info/host
• Vervent Worship and the Arts Conference, October 25-27, Denver, Colorado – www.denverfirstsda.org/worship
• Children’s Ministries Convention, November 8-11, Loma Linda, California – www.plusline.org; http://gofishconference.net
• Cruise With a Mission, December 16-23, Carribean cruise: Florida, Belize, Guatemala, Mexico – www.cruisewithamission.org
• Christmas Mission Trip, "Impact Taiwan," December 24, 2007 - January 5, 2008 – http://www.wcycs.org/main/main.asp
Managing Editor – Lynetta Murdoch
To subscribe or unsubscribe go to