Archived NewsPoints and Friday Faxes
Friday FAX 2007
July 20, 2007
A News and Information Service for Leaders in North America
1-page PDF Version
IN THIS ISSUE —
■ Price Deadlines for “Out of Thin Air” Handbills
■ Song Writing Contest
■ CUC May Sell Radio Station License
■ Harry Potter Help
■ Conference on Fund Raising
■ Upcoming Events
— RESOURCES —
■ PRICE DEADLINES FOR "OUT OF THIN AIR" HANDBILLS — The next price deadline is July 30 at US$72 /1,000. After that, if your order is received before August 13 the cost will be US$76 /1,000.
Contact: www.adventistevangelism.com/OutofThinAir or call Color Press at 800-222-2145 to order.
“Out of Thin Air” is a 4-day satellite series about creation, with It Is Written Speaker/Director Shawn Boonstra. It will be uplinked live in English and Spanish via the ACN/ Esperanza Channels.
If you haven’t received a Preview Kit yet, call 805-915-6167 or www.thinairevent.com/host to request one, to learn more, and to sign up to be listed as a host site. Sign up early to get the best prices on handbills and supplies.
■ A SONG WRITING CONTEST is being sponsored by the United Christian Artists Association 3rd Annual Conference. Deadline: July 30.
Contact: http://ucaaonline.org/2007%20UCAA%20Music%20Reference%20Application.pdf for entry form.
■ CUC MAY SELL RADIO STATION LICENSE — After a lengthy discussion on Sunday [July 8], the Columbia Union College Board of Trustees voted to begin negotiations with a potential buyer for the WGTS license. Members say that the goal of any potential sale is to protect and grow the future of Columbia Union College as the Adventist Christian college in the nation's capital. Contract stipulations include the ability to continue broadcasting WGTS using digital radio broadcast technology. Though it's uncertain when that technology would become widely available, it would allow CUC to maintain a radio broadcast ministry in the nation's capital. The board hopes to have an offer to consider by September. Anyone wishing to comment on this issue or offer viable alternatives should e-mail email@example.com. Comments will be shared with board members.
About CUC – Columbia Union College (www.cuc.edu) is the Seventh-day Adventist college in the nation's capital that was established 103 years ago by Ellen White and other Adventist pioneers. Its graduates touch the lives of millions of people worldwide in areas of service, education, law, ministry, business, medicine, and church administration, etc. CUC is also known for its music groups that regularly perform at Carnegie Hall and other renowned venues and its Centers for Metropolitan Ministry and Law and Public Policy, which prepare students for ministry locally and globally.
About WGTS – WGTS, which stands for Washington's Gateway to Service, is the college's 50-year-old radio ministry. Learn more at www.wgts919.org to listen to WGTS live over the Internet, or to download recent programs. Watch a video featuring its ministry at www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDf16p2n1C4.
■ HARRY POTTER AND MORE — The July 12 special edition of AR INTOUCH was all about the Harry Potter phenomenon and will help you stay current as the latest and last Harry Potter book is released. Included are two articles by occult expert Richard Abane, articles about ways to guard children from an occult-filled pop culture, two perspectives on whether the books are safe for Christians, reader responses to the Review's first article on Harry Potter, and more.
Always included in AR INTOUCH are world news briefs from Religion News Service, plus Adventist Church news.
Contact: www.adventistreview.org/article.php?id=1272 to read this special edition and to subscribe.
■ CONFERENCE ON FUND RAISING — September 16 in Federal Way, Washington. Dr. Karen Johnson and Ms. LuAnn Davis will share wisdom from their years of experience in fund raising to teach you the core elements of fund raising and what steps to take to build your own successful program.
Early bird registration fee and deadline: US$79 by August 13.
Contact: www.washingtonconference.org or call Colette at 253-681-6008 for information and to register
— UPCOMING EVENTS —
A quick view of events sponsored by the North American Division
• Adventist Urban Congress, July 22-27, Huntsville, Alabama – www.plusline.org/events.php
• Adventist-laymen's Services and Industries Annual International Convention, 60th Anniversary Celebration, August 1-4, Louisville, Kentucky. www.asiministries.org
• ‘07 Revive! “Here We Stand: Foundations of Our Faith,” September 7-15, Lansing, Michigan -- www.07revive.com
• “From This Day Forward” Marriage Conferences, September 22, Denver, Colorado -- www.ftdf2007.org
• Adult Ministries Festival Of The Laity – September 26-29, Orlando, Florida, www.festivalofthelaity.com
• Vervent Worship Conference: 3rd Annual United Christian Artists Association’s Music and Worship Conference, September 27-29, Baltimore, Maryland – www.ucaaonline.org
• “Out of Thin Air” 4-day satellite series with Shawn Boonstra, September 28-October 1, www.thinairevent.com
• National Conference on Innovation, September 30 to October 2, Columbus, Ohio – www.sdapartnersininnovation.org
• Society of Adventist Communicators Convention, October 11-14, Nashville, Tennessee – www.plusline.org/events.php and www.adventistcommunicator.org/index.php
• Nonprofit Leadership Certification Program, Level II, October 14-19, Columbia Union College, Takoma Park, Maryland -- www.plusline.org
• NET 2007, “HeartQuest: Finding the One Who Has Loved You All Along,” Satellite direct-to-church event with Mike Tucker, October 19 - November 3, www.HeartQuest.info/host
• Vervent Worship and the Arts Conference, October 25-27, Denver, Colorado – www.denverfirstsda.org/worship
• Cruise With a Mission, December 16-23, Carribean cruise: Florida, Belize, Guatemala, Mexico – www.cruisewithamission.org
Managing Editor – Lynetta Murdoch
To subscribe or unsubscribe go to