Archived NewsPoints and Friday Faxes
Friday FAX 2007
Current Friday FAX
June 22, 2007
A News and Information Service for Leaders in North America
1-page PDF Version
IN THIS ISSUE —
■ U.S. Senate Chaplain Barry Black to Appear on PBS Program
■ Updated Brochure, “What’s a Seventh-day Adventist?”
■ A New Approach to NET Evangelism
■ ASI Celebrates 60th Anniversary at Coming Convention
■ NAD Has a New Treasurer
■ No More Walla Walla College
■ Upcoming Events
— RESOURCES —
■ U.S. SENATE CHAPLAIN BARRY BLACK WILL BE FEATURED this weekend on the PBS program, “Religion & Ethics Newsweekly.”
Contact: www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/index_flash.html to see how and when to view “Religion & Ethics Newsweekly” in your area. If you cannot view it in your area, it will be on the PBS website (“Religion & Ethics Newsweekly” section) Friday, June 22 in the evening.
■ “WHAT’S A SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST?” BROCHURE (in Spanish and English) has been updated. In six colorful panels, it defines Seventh-day Adventists’ identity and beliefs. It also offers a short history of Adventism, recent membership and outreach statistics, and information about Adventist education and community service. It includes information about how Adventists are preparing for Christ’s return and contains web addresses for BibleInfo.com and Discover Bible School.
Use it when people call your office for information about Adventists, for fair and exhibit booths, give to visitors at church, include it with invitations to outreach seminars, give to parents bringing their children to an Adventist school or Vacation Bible School, to patients in Adventist hospitals or doctors’ offices, and more.
Contact: www.adventsource.org or 800-328-0525. Price (per pkg. of 50): $9.95/1-19; $7.50/20-99; $6.50/100-199; $5.50/200 packages or more.
■ NET 2007, A NEW APPROACH — Mike Tucker, Speaker for NET 2007, “HeartQuest,” will be using the approach he and his wife use very successfully in their pastoral ministry, especially designed to meet the needs of the secular mind and postmodernism. With this new approach, members are encouraged to host the 13 satellite meetings in their homes. Resource materials have been especially designed to help, and members are encouraged to invite friends and neighbors. In addition, pastors should also plan to host it in their churches, in a fellowship hall or seminar room where people can sit around tables with notepads and water. The informality of the setting will attract people who feel uncomfortable entering a church.
Contact: www.HeartQuest.info/host for more information and to register sites so they can be found by people who may be interested in attending.
■ ASI CELEBRATES 60TH ANNIVERSARY — Adventist-laymen's Services and Industries Annual International Convention, 60th Anniversary Celebration, will be in Louisville, Kentucky, August 1-4.
Contact: www.asiministries.org to register as an attender or exhibitor, and for more information about the convention and hotels. Read about all the projects the expected offering from the ASI Convention will support.
— INSIDE SCOOP —
■ NEW NAD TREASURER ELECTED — Tom Evans, treasurer of the Southern Union Conference, has been elected treasurer of the North American Division. He will be replacing Juan Prestol who was elected Undertreasurer of the General Conference during the 2007 Spring Meeting. Before coming to the Southern Union, Tom had been the treasurer of two local conferences, two academies, and the Mid-America Union Conference. – From the Desk of Don Schneider, 6,/21/07.
■ NO MORE WALLA WALLA COLLEGE — The senior class of 2007 was the last one to graduate from Walla Walla College. The next senior class will graduate from Walla Walla University.
Contact: www.nadadventist.org for the story.
— UPCOMING EVENTS —
A quick view of events sponsored by the North American Division
• "Principles and Techniques of Fund Raising Course 101," June 25-29, Greenwood Village, Colorado – www.plusline.org/eventdetail.php?id=252&hash=
• Adventist Single Adult Ministries Convention – July 5-7, Orlando, Florida www.plusline.org and www.pursueyourpassion2007.com
• Addictions Conference, “Freedom to Live,” July 12-15, Andrews University – www.addictionministry.org
• Adventist Urban Congress, July 22-27, Huntsville, Alabama – www.plusline.org/events.php
• Adventist-laymen's Services and Industries Annual International Convention, 60th Anniversary Celebration, August 1-4, Louisville, Kentucky. www.asiministries.org
• ‘07 Revive! “Here We Stand: Foundations of Our Faith,” September 7-15, Lansing, Michigan -- www.07revive.com
• “From This Day Forward” Marriage Conferences, September 22, Denver, Colorado -- www.ftdf2007.org
• Adult Ministries Festival Of The Laity – September 26-29, Orlando, Florida, www.festivalofthelaity.com
• Vervent Worship Conference: 3rd Annual United Christian Artists Association’s Music and Worship Conference, September 27-29, Baltimore, Maryland – www.ucaaonline.org
• “Out of Thin Air” 4-day satellite series with Shawn Boonstra, September 28-October 1, www.thinairevent.com
• National Conference on Innovation, September 30 to October 2, Columbus, Ohio – www.sdapartnersininnovation.org
• Society of Adventist Communicators Convention, October 11-14, Nashville, Tennessee – www.plusline.org/events.php and www.adventistcommunicator.org/index.php
• Nonprofit Leadership Certification Program, Level II, October 14-19, Columbia Union College, Takoma Park, Maryland -- www.plusline.org
• NET 2007, “HeartQuest: Finding the One Who Has Loved You All Along,” Satellite direct-to-church event with Mike Tucker, October 19 - November 3, www.HeartQuest.info/host
• Vervent Worship and the Arts Conference, October 25-27, Denver, Colorado – www.denverfirstsda.org/worship
• Cruise With a Mission, December 16-23, Carribean cruise: Florida, Belize, Guatemala, Mexico – www.cruisewithamission.org
Managing Editor – Lynetta Murdoch
To subscribe or unsubscribe go to