Archived NewsPoints and Friday Faxes
Friday FAX 2007
This issue of Friday Fax indicated a number of church and ministry web sites that collect information about children. There is no question about the validity of these web sites. However, without proper privacy statements and other proper legal protections, this is a violation of the Children Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). Some web site operators have already been notified by the General Conference's Office of General Counsel and therefore some of the web sites listed in Friday Fax may not be currently operational.
The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (a federal law in the USA but likely Canada and Bermuda have similar ones), requires any web site that is directed to a child (12 and under) to include certain privacy notices and to identify those notices on the home page of the web site and on each page that solicits any information from a child. Further, depending on your use of any information you may receive from a child you may have specific requirements of providing parental opt outs that require you to make verifiable contact directly with the parent. The purpose of this law is to protect the confidentiality, security and integrity of children's personal information that you may obtain through such a web site.
Before utilizing any collection method (including cookies) on a web site to get information from children under 13, make sure to get proper legal help before proceeding. Some well-known companies have already been fined into the six figures for violations.
Additionally, if a web site is directed at children but does not collect information about them, a proper privacy notice reviewed by legal counsel is still highly advised.
June 15, 2007
A News and Information Service for Leaders in North America
1-page PDF Version
IN THIS ISSUE —
■ New Adventist “Kid Stuff” (and Parents and Teachers Too)
■ KidZone Bible Guides Online
■ Kids Corner with Audio Bible Stories
■ Ellen White Visionary for Kids e-Zine
■ “Go Fish” Children’s Ministries Convention
■ Family Togetherness Week Resource
■ Especially for K-12 Teachers
■ Links for Children’s Sabbath School Resources
■ Upcoming Events
— RESOURCES —
NEW ADVENTIST “KID STUFF” (AND SOME FOR PARENTS AND TEACHERS TOO) — Summer is here and kids need to find new things to do. Part of what they will be doing is surfing the Internet. There is some Adventist online “kid stuff” that churches might want to include in their bulletins and newsletters:
• KIDSVIEW, THE ADVENTIST REVIEW’S MAGAZINE FOR CHILDREN, is now online.
Contact: www.adventistreview.org and click on “KidsView” in the left frame.
By the end of 2007 VOP plans thave other "stuff" for kids there, as well.
• VOICE OF PROPHECY’S KID’S CORNER — Where kids can listen to Elder H. M. S. Richards, Jr. tell exciting Bible stories.
• ELLEN WHITE VISIONARY FOR KIDS (VE.Z) IS A NEW E-ZINE for kids ages 9-14. It is posted quarterly by The Ellen G. White Estate in Silver Spring, Maryland.
Included are Adventist heritage features and pictures, a question-and-answer corner, as well as puzzles, mazes, and other interactive-learning activities. Kids are invited to submit their articles, stories and drawings and can even receive $25 for any that are published. They should be sure to check the guidelines for submissions which are posted at the website.
• KIDSBIBLEINFO.COM — A safe place for kids to find Bible answers to their questions, character building stories, games and more.
FOR PARENTS AND TEACHERS —
■ “GO FISH,” CHILDREN’S MINISTRIES CONVENTION, November 8-11, in Loma Linda, California — More than 70 workshops and at least 40 exhibitors will be available for those interested in Children’s Ministry. Pastors, parents, leaders, teachers, anyone who works with children birth to age 12 will find practical ways to improve their ministry. Churches that are involved in or would like to start creative ministries such as puppetry, clown, and drama are encouraged to bring their teams.
Contact: www.gofishconference.net for more information or to register. Early bird registration deadline, August 30.
■ FOR FAMILY TOGETHERNESS WEEK, September 9-15, the Family Ministries Department has developed a Plan Book titled: Relationships Where Grace Is in Place.
Contact: AdventSource at www.adventsource.org or 800-328-0525.
■ ESPECIALLY FOR K-12 TEACHERS wanting to enhance their students‘ spiritual walk with Jesus, the Ellen G. White Estate provides www.whiteestate.org/godsmessenger.html.
■ FOR CHILDREN’S SABBATH SCHOOL RESOURCES go to: www.childmin.com, www.ssnet.org/qrtrly/qrtrly.html, and www.sabbathschoolpersonalministries.org/article.php?id=17.
— UPCOMING EVENTS —
A quick view of events sponsored by the North American Division
• "Principles and Techniques of Fund Raising Course 101," June 25-29, Greenwood Village, Colorado – www.plusline.org/eventdetail.php?id=252&hash=
• Adventist Single Adult Ministries Convention – July 5-7, Orlando, Florida www.plusline.org and www.pursueyourpassion2007.com
• Addictions Conference, “Freedom to Live,” July 12-15, Andrews University – www.addictionministry.org
• Adventist Urban Congress, July 22-27, Huntsville, Alabama – www.plusline.org/events.php
• Adventist-laymen's Services and Industries Annual International Convention, 60th Anniversary Celebration, August 1-4, Louisville, Kentucky. www.asiministries.org
• ‘07 Revive! “Here We Stand: Foundations of Our Faith,” September 7-15, Lansing, Michigan -- www.07revive.com
• “From This Day Forward” Marriage Conferences, September 22, Denver, Colorado --
• Adult Ministries Festival Of The Laity – September 26-29, Orlando, Florida, www.festivalofthelaity.com
• Vervent Worship Conference: 3rd Annual United Christian Artists Association’s Music and Worship Conference, September 27-29, Baltimore, Maryland – www.ucaaonline.org
• “Out of Thin Air” 4-day satellite series with Shawn Boonstra, September 28-October 1, www.thinairevent.com
• National Conference on Innovation, September 30 to October 2, Columbus, Ohio – www.sdapartnersininnovation.org
• Society of Adventist Communicators Convention, October 11-14, Nashville, Tennessee – www.plusline.org/events.php and www.adventistcommunicator.org/index.php
• Nonprofit Leadership Certification Program, Level II, October 14-19, Columbia Union College, Takoma Park, Maryland -- www.plusline.org
• NET 2007, “HeartQuest: Finding the One Who Has Loved You All Along,” Satellite direct-to-church event with Mike Tucker, October 19 - November 3, www.HeartQuest.info/host
• Vervent Worship and the Arts Conference, October 25-27, Denver, Colorado – www.denverfirstsda.org/worship
• Cruise With a Mission, December 16-23, Carribean cruise: Florida, Belize, Guatemala, Mexico – www.cruisewithamission.org
Managing Editor – Lynetta Murdoch
To subscribe or unsubscribe go to