Archived NewsPoints and Friday Faxes
Friday FAX 2007
June 8, 2007
A News and Information Service for Leaders in North America
1-page PDF Version
IN THIS ISSUE —
■ Support the Adventist Single Adults Convention, July 5-7
■ How Cold Is Your Bible?
■ Recommend A Communicator
■ Abuse Prevention Emphasis Day Support Materials
■ Rare Full Power Radio Station Opportunity
■ 2009 Adventist Ministries Convention Location Selected
■ GC Session 2010 Theme
■ Check Out This Magazine Cover
■ In the News ...
■ Upcoming Events
— RESOURCES —
■ SUPPORT ADVENTIST SINGLE ADULTS by encouraging and enabling them to attend the Adventist Single Adult Ministries (ASAM) Convention, July 5-7 in Orlando, Florida. Creative and informative church bulletin inserts are posted at the website to make it easier for churches to promote.
■ HOW COLD IS YOUR BIBLE? — This Sunday, June 10, “It Is Written” Telecast (IIW) will air a special program that was filmed on location in the Arctic with IIW Speaker/ Director Shawn Boonstra and the ministry’s Remote Tribes Coordinator, Sebastian Tirtirau. This half-hour program, called “How Cold Is Your Bible?” will chronicle IIW’s efforts to deliver Inuktitut Bibles to Inuit people living in remote areas of the Arctic. You won’t want to miss this exciting report!
Contact: www.itiswritten.com/arctic to view photos. Go to www.itiswritten.com/tvprogram/stations.html to find an IIW station in your listening area. Watch “It Is Written” online or download programs through iTunes at www.itiswritten.com/podcast.
■ SUBMIT YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS — Every year the Society of Adventist Communicators (SAC) honors communication professionals through the SAC Awards program. If you know of an Adventist communicator who deserves an award, you must submit your recommendation by August 13.
There are four categories: the Lifetime Achievement Award, the Award of Merit, the Young Professional, and the Student Award.
Contact: www.adventistcommunicator.org/article.php?id=51 for details.
■ ABUSE PREVENTION EMPHASIS DAY — This year Children’s Ministries and Family Ministries are joining Women’s Ministries in promoting Abuse Prevention Emphasis Day, August 25. The emphasis this year is on “Elder Abuse.”
Postcards are being sent to the relevant church leaders regarding a free CD of support material, including a sermon, a PowerPoint presentation for a Sabbath afternoon or Friday evening meeting, a children's story, and children's handouts. These materials will be available in both English and Spanish. They also may be downloaded from the NADWM web site at www.nadwm.org.
■ RADIO STATION OPPORTUNITY — A rare and short "filing window" will be opened by the FCC later this year for nonprofit organizations to file for building full power noncommercial FM radio stations. This is an opportunity to share the Gospel in communities which may not be repeated soon.
Contact: LifeTalk at 800-775-4673 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
■ THE 2009 ADVENTIST MINISTRIES CONVENTION will be held January 18-21, at the Kingston Plantation in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.
■ “PROCLAIMING GOD’S GRACE” WILL BE THE THEME FOR GC SESSION 2010. The committee noticed that there has been no mention of grace in recent themes. It is expected that the theme will “give the session spiritual direction and help presenters focus on a very important element of [Adventist] belief,” says Gerry Karst, chair of the committee.
— INSIDE SCOOP —
■ THE COVER OF THE JUNE EDITION OF RELIGIOUS CONFERENCE MANAGER magazine shows a photo of GC Session 2005. You can see a thumbnail of the cover at http://meetingsnet.com/religiousconferencemanager.
■ IN THE NEWS — Read the complimentary article about an Adventist- run vegan restaurant, Our Daily Bread in Norwalk, California at www.presstelegram.com/entertainment/ci_6059448.
— UPCOMING EVENTS —
A quick view of events sponsored by the North American Division
• "Principles and Techniques of Fund Raising Course 101," June 25-29, Greenwood Village, Colorado – www.plusline.org/eventdetail.php?id=252&hash=
• Adventist Single Adult Ministries Convention – July 5-7, Orlando, Florida www.plusline.org and www.pursueyourpassion2007.com
• Addictions Conference, “Freedom to Live,” July 12-15, Andrews University – www.addictionministry.org
• Adventist Urban Congress, July 22-27, Huntsville, Alabama – www.plusline.org/events.php
• Adventist-laymen's Services and Industries Annual International Convention, 60th Anniversary Celebration, August 1-4, Louisville, Kentucky. www.asiministries.org
• ‘07 Revive! “Here We Stand: Foundations of Our Faith,” September 7-15, Lansing, Michigan -- www.07revive.com
• “From This Day Forward” Marriage Conferences, September 22, Denver, Colorado --
• Adult Ministries Festival Of The Laity – September 26-29, Orlando, Florida, www.festivalofthelaity.com
• Vervent Worship Conference: 3rd Annual United Christian Artists Association’s Music and Worship Conference, September 27-29, Baltimore, Maryland – www.ucaaonline.org
• “Out of Thin Air” 4-day satellite series with Shawn Boonstra, September 28-October 1, www.thinairevent.com
• National Conference on Innovation, September 30 to October 2, Columbus, Ohio – www.sdapartnersininnovation.org
• Society of Adventist Communicators Convention, October 11-14, Nashville, Tennessee – www.plusline.org/events.php and www.adventistcommunicator.org/index.php
• Nonprofit Leadership Certification Program, Level II, October 14-19, Columbia Union College, Takoma Park, Maryland -- www.plusline.org
• NET 2007, “HeartQuest: Finding the One Who Has Loved You All Along,” Satellite direct-to-church event with Mike Tucker, October 19 - November 3, www.HeartQuest.info/host
• Vervent Worship and the Arts Conference, October 25-27, Denver, Colorado – www.denverfirstsda.org/worship
• Cruise With a Mission, December 16-23, Carribean cruise: Florida, Belize, Guatemala, Mexico – www.cruisewithamission.org
Managing Editor – Lynetta Murdoch
To subscribe or unsubscribe go to