Archived NewsPoints and Friday Faxes
Friday FAX 2007
June 1, 2007
A News and Information Service for Leaders in North America
1-page PDF Version
IN THIS ISSUE —
■ Addictions Ministry Conference Registration Extended
■ Greatest Current Need for Disaster Survivors
■ Adventist Church and School Connect Websites Free
■ Low Involvement by Adventist Church in Community and Social Issues
■ Adventist Urban Congress to Focus on Community and Social Ministries
■ Adventist Family Conference Change
■ Upcoming Events
— RESOURCES —
■ THE EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION DEADLINE for the Addictions Ministry Conference at Andrews University, July 12-15, has been extended to June 15.
Contact: www.addictionministry.org for more information or to register.
■ DISASTER SURVIVORS IN MANY STATES throughout North America are being assisted by Adventist Community Services Disaster Response (ACS DR). Currently, the biggest need is in Kansas where tornadoes damaged or destroyed 95% of Greensburg. Because so much of the city has been affected, it is difficult accept goods at this time. Their greatest need is for financial assistance. Monetary donations will allow the purchase of needed goods and provide a much needed boost to the local economy.
Contact: 800-831-7171 or www.communityservices.org, or designate ACS DR on your tithe envelope to donate.
■ ADVENTIST CHURCH AND SCHOOL CONNECT WEBSITES — You are invited to join the 1,600+ churches and schools that are enjoying the Adventist Church and School Connect network and taking advantage of FREE website software, hosting, training and support.
These professionally designed sites come with easy-to-use content management software, built-in RSS feeds that provide updated content, the ability to share church news with other churches, your conference and union,and a dynamic calendar. Any church or school can have a website in just a few days.
Contact: www.adventistchurchconnect.com or call 877-518-0819 for more information or to sign up.
■ ONLY 7% OF SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCHES in the U.S. report that they are involved in community organizing projects or advocacy on social issues in the community. This is less than 1/3 the rate for all religious congregations in America according to the Faith Communities Today (FACT) survey.
Contact: http://www.creativeministry.org/article.php?id=419 to view the graph and to read the report.
■ THE ADVENTIST URBAN CONGRESS will be at Oakwood College in Huntsville, Alabama, July 22-27. It is the first major gathering in NAD in more than 100 years to be focused on the needs of urban communities. It is open to people of all faiths.
Speakers will include Ron Sider, well-known advocate for the poor and professor at Eastern University in Philadelphia; Barry Black, U.S. Senate Chaplain; well-known Adventist names such as E. E. Cleveland, Charles Bradford, and more top speakers and advocates.
The event will include workshops in program development, networking, partnerships, fund raising, wholistic ministry, public policy and social justice theology.
Contact: www.plusline.org/events or call 800-732-7587 for more information.
■ ADVENTIST FAMILY CONFERENCE (AFC) has been succeeded by Family Celebration Sabbath (FCS), which will take place at Seminary Hall (Andrews University) on July 20-21. The new format includes Friday evening vespers, Sabbath worship service, lunch and a dedication/awards service on Saturday evening. This event has been specially designed to connect with individuals pursuing the graduate certificate in Family Life Education and the Doctor of Ministry in Family Ministries.
The plenaries, training and research forum presented at AFC in the past will be offered at the NAD Ministries Conventions, and on the off years at the Smart Marriages Conference or at the American Association of Christian Counselors annual Conference.
— UPCOMING EVENTS —
A quick view of events sponsored by the North American Division
• SEEDS: "Maximum Impact Conference," June 5-9, Andrews University -- www.nadei.org/article.php?id=72
• "Principles and Techniques of Fund Raising Course 101," June 25-29, Greenwood Village, Colorado – www.plusline.org/eventdetail.php?id=252&hash=
• Adventist Single Adult Ministries Convention – July 5-7, Orlando, Florida www.plusline.org and www.pursueyourpassion2007.com
• Addictions Conference, “Freedom to Live,” July 12-15, Andrews University – www.addictionministry.org
• Adventist Urban Congress, July 22-27, Huntsville, Alabama – www.plusline.org/events.php
• Adventist-laymen's Services and Industries Annual International Convention, 60th Anniversary Celebration, August 1-4, Louisville, Kentucky. www.asiministries.org
• ‘07 Revive! “Here We Stand: Foundations of Our Faith,” September 7-15, Lansing, Michigan -- www.07revive.com
• “From This Day Forward” Marriage Conferences, September 22, Denver, Colorado --
• Adult Ministries Festival Of The Laity – September 26-29, Orlando, Florida, www.festivalofthelaity.com
• Vervent Worship Conference: 3rd Annual United Christian Artists Association’s Music and Worship Conference, September 27-29, Baltimore, Maryland – www.ucaaonline.org
• “Out of Thin Air” 4-day satellite series with Shawn Boonstra, September 28-October 1, www.thinairevent.com
• National Conference on Innovation, September 30 to October 2, Columbus, Ohio – www.sdapartnersininnovation.org
• Society of Adventist Communicators Convention, October 11-14, Nashville, Tennessee – www.plusline.org/events.php and www.adventistcommunicator.org/index.php
• Nonprofit Leadership Certification Program, Level II, October 14-19, Columbia Union College, Takoma Park, Maryland -- www.plusline.org
• NET 2007, “HeartQuest: Finding the One Who Has Loved You All Along,” Satellite direct-to-church event with Mike Tucker, October 19 - November 3, www.HeartQuest.info/host
• Vervent Worship and the Arts Conference, October 25-27, Denver, Colorado – www.denverfirstsda.org/worship
• Cruise With a Mission, December 16-23, Carribean cruise: Florida, Belize, Guatemala, Mexico – www.cruisewithamission.org
Managing Editor – Lynetta Murdoch
To subscribe or unsubscribe go to