Archived NewsPoints and Friday Faxes
Friday FAX 2007
April 27, 2007
A News and Information Service for Leaders in North America
1-page PDF Version
In This Issue —
■ Adventists on PBS
■ $50 Off Festival of the Laity Registration
■ New Emergency Preparedness Degree and FEMA Certificate from Andrews University
■ Register for SEEDS 2007 by May 2 and Avoid Late Registration Fee
■ Free Unpublished Manuscript by Eric B. Hare
■ Washington Adventist Hospital to Relocate
■ Upcoming Events
— RESOURCES —
■ ADVENTISTS ON PBS — Roscoe J. Howard III, NAD executive secretary, was interviewed in March about the history and basic beliefs of the Seventh-day Adventist Church by Dennis Wholey at a taping of a new weekly PBS series entitled, “I Believe”. The “I Believe” crew also traveled to Sligo Church in Takoma Park, Maryland, to do a tour and talk to Sr. Pastor Ron Halvorsen Jr. about weekly services at the church.
The "I Believe" episode featuring the Seventh-day Adventist Church is scheduled to air May 2. Check local listings at www.pbs.org to see what time "I Believe" will air in your area. For more information on “I Believe,” please visit www.ibelieve-tv.com.
■ $50 OFF FESTIVAL OF THE LAITY REGISTRATION — A major donor has enabled the “Early Bird” registration fee for the Festival Of The Laity (September 26-29 in Orlando, Florida) to be reduced through August 16 to US$149.00. Six meals, 8 general sessions, and 45 seminars are still included. Those who registered prior to April 26 will receive a $50.00 refund mailed directly to them. Please help get the word out to everyone in your conference.
Contact: www.festivalofthelaity.com or 800-732-7587 for more information or to register, and the Florida Hotel and Conference Center at 800-588-4656 for hotel reservations.
■ A NEW EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS DEGREE AND FEMA CERTIFICATE are available from Andrews University. Individuals who complete 18-19 semester credits in this field are eligible for a Certificate in Emergency Preparedness from Andrews. The first course in the tracks, Introduction to Emergency Preparedness, will be offered as part of the new “May Express” program, which includes a significant tuition discount. Satisfactory completion of this course will be recognized by a FEMA Professional Development Series Certificate of Completion.
■ IT’S NOT TOO LATE TO REGISTER FOR SEEDS 2007: Maximum Impact Conference, June 5-9, at Andrews University. Late registration fees begin on May 2, so register now.
Contact: www.nadei.org/article.php?id=72 for more information and to register.
■ AN UNPUBLISHED HANDWRITTEN MANUSCRIPT BY ERIC B. HARE was recently discovered. Named, “Curse Proof,” it has been printed and is available FREE (for North American Division only) through the Adventist Mission Department.
Contact: www.adventistmission.org and click on the link to order your free copy. Limit one per family while supplies last.
— INSIDE SCOOP —
■ WASHINGTON ADVENTIST HOSPITAL (WAH) TO RELOCATE — As part of its Vision for Expanded Access initiative, Adventist HealthCare is announcing today it has purchased land to relocate Washington Adventist Hospital near the White Oak section of Montgomery County in order to preserve and expand access to health care for the communities it serves. At the same time, hospital officials will work with communities around the current campus to discuss future uses, including keeping health-care services, at the Takoma Park site adjoining the campus of Columbia Union College.
Contact: www.nadadventist.org and read the full story under “News.”
— UPCOMING EVENTS —
A quick view of events sponsored by the North American Division
• Nonprofit Leadership Certification Program, Level I, May 6-11; Level II, October 14-16; both at Columbia Union College, Takoma Park, Maryland -- www.plusline.org
• Military Chaplains Association Annual Conference, May 18-23, Silver Spring, Maryland --www.adventistchaplains.org
• “From This Day Forward” Marriage Conferences, May 19, September 22, in various locations, www.adventistfamilyministries.com
• SEEDS: "Maximum Impact Conference," June 5-9, Andrews University -- www.nadei.org/article.php?id=72
• Adventist Single Adult Ministries Convention – July 5-7, Orlando, Florida www.plusline.org and www.pursueyourpassion2007.com
• Addictions Conference, “Freedom to Live,” July 12-15, Andrews University – www.nadhealthministries.org
• Adventist Urban Congress, July 22-27, Huntsville, Alabama – www.plusline.org/events.php
• Adventist-laymen's Services and Industries Annual International Convention, 60th Anniversary Celebration, August 1-4, Louisville, Kentucky. www.asiministries.org
• Adult Ministries Festival Of The Laity – September 26-29, Orlando, Florida, www.festivalofthelaity.com
• Vervent Worship Conference: 3rd Annual United Christian Artists Association’s Music and Worship Conference, September 27-29, Baltimore, Maryland – www.ucaaonline.org
• “Out of Thin Air” 4-day satellite series with Shawn Boonstra, September 28-October 1, www.thinairevent/host
• National Conference on Innovation, September 30 to October 2, Columbus, Ohio – www.sdapartnersininnovation.org
• NET 2007, “HeartQuest: Finding the One Who Has Loved You All Along,” Satellite direct-to-church event with Mike Tucker, October 19 - November 3, www.HeartQuest.info/host
• Society of Adventist Communicators Convention, October 11-14, Nashville, Tennessee – www.plusline.org/events.php and www.adventistcommunicator.org/index.php
• Nonprofit Leadership Certification Program, Level II, October 14-19, Columbia Union College, Takoma Park, Maryland -- www.plusline.org
• Vervent Worship and the Arts Conference, October 25-27, Denver, Colorado – www.denverfirstsda.org/worship
• Cruise With a Mission, December 16-23, Carribean cruise: Florida, Belize, Guatemala, Mexico -- www.cruisewithamission.org
Managing Editor -- Lynetta Murdoch
To subscribe or unsubscribe go to